Working in the healthcare industry is hard work! Healthcare workers must complete tasks that most others would prefer not to and they often put the priorities of their patients over their own. Unfortunately, there has been an outsized number of work-related injuries in healthcare over the years.
What is the most common type of injury experienced by healthcare workers?
Common workplace injuries in healthcare often involve back and shoulder injuries resulting from lifting and repositioning patients, slipping and falling at work, restraining an uncooperative patient, contracting COVID-19 or any other illness from patients, or “occupational disease” injuries that occur over time from overuse.
If you feel as though you have a healthcare injury, you should do the following:
- See a doctor as soon as possible.
- Provide a full explanation of your injury to your doctor. If you feel that you were injured at work, make sure to explain that to your doctor.
- Ensure that your doctor has diagnosed your injury and provided a comment that your injury is work-related.
- Give notice of your injury to your employer as soon as possible.
- Continue to treat with your doctor at least every 90 days.
- Contact Lewis & Lewis, P.C.
The beginning is often the most critical stage of a Workers’ Compensation claim. If you’ve suffered a healthcare injury, you must seek legal counsel to make sure your legal rights are protected and that you properly follow the law.
Unrepresented injured workers can make unwise decisions at the beginning of their case that have serious repercussions in the future. Your employer’s insurance company will also be represented by an attorney whose only job is to save the insurance company as much money as possible. Your health and well-being may not be taken into account.
Lewis & Lewis, P.C. has developed the knowledge and skill to fight for our clients and ensure that workers who suffer work-related injuries in healthcare receive all the benefits they are entitled to under Workers’ Compensation law.
If you suffered a work-related injury in healthcare and want more information about a potential claim, contact Lewis & Lewis, P.C. today at (716) 854-2100.